MORIAH — An accidental fire damaged a large barn on Center Road here Sunday night.
The barn, owned by Heather Provoncha at 2634 Center Road in Moriah, was only moderately damaged, Essex County Emergency Services Director Donald Jaquish said.
“The fire department saved the structure with only minor damage,” he said. “There was a fast response time.”
The fire was reported by a neighbor at about 8 p.m. Sunday.
Moriah, Port Henry, Mineville fire companies and Westport Air One were all called to the location to fight the fire.
Jaquish said a probe by the Essex County Fire Investigation Unit showed that hot wood ash from a stove had been spread outside the barn and had blown inside, causing the fire.
No livestock was kept in the barn, fire officials said.
SARANAC LAKE — Firefighters were called to a structure fire in Saranac Lake at 4:07 p.m Monday.
The fire was on 372 McMaster Road, but was mostly extinguished by the time fire crews arrived. According to fire officials, several department members live in close vicinity and started putting the fire out with extinguishers and buckets of water before trucks arrived.
The home is owned by Paul Fletcher, who lives next door, and uses this property as a rental. Three trucks and 20 members responded to the scene, as well as mutual aid from Bloomingdale, Paul Smiths-Gabriels and Lake Placid, who all sent tankers.
The kitchen area of the home was destroyed, but fire officials believe the home and the renters were insured.
The Saranac Lake Fire Dept. was back in service at 6:37 p.m.
— By Staff Writers Lohr McKinstry and Kim Smith Dedam and Contributing Writer Jennifer Meschinelli