Olympian Celebrity Golf Classic Thursday, June 18
LAKE PLACID — Many of the area's best golfers and several of the area's not so best golfers will team with U.S. Olympic athletes and other celebrities for the ninth-annual Olympian Celebrity Golf Classic, Thursday, June 18. The four-person team scramble, held at the Craig Wood Golf Course benefits the United Way of Clinton & Essex Counties.
"Outside of the annual campaign, this is our biggest fundraiser," Shirley O'Connell, the tournament's chair and director. "Each year the tournament raises over $10,000, so I can easily say that this event has raised more than $90,000 for the two counties."
Thirty three-person teams from northern New York have signed to tee it up with Olympians, including 2002 Olympic bobsled silver medalist Todd Hayes, 1998 Olympic ski jumper Casey Colby and Joe-Pete Wilson, a member of the 1960 U.S. Olympic Nordic team and 1965 four-man bobsled world championship bronze medalist. The celebrity field also features Olympic broadcasters Tim Singer and John Morgan and the newly crowned women's singles luge world champion Erin Hamlin, who also slid in the 2006 Olympic Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy.
Registration begins at 8 a.m. at the Craig Wood course and the tournament begins with the shotgun start at 10 a.m. The Jack Shea Memorial Trophy will be awarded to the first-place gross team and the Mike Mannix Memorial Trophy will be awarded to the first-place net team. After the round of golf a steak and chicken barbeque will be served, along with drawing for prizes.
Space is still available for six additional three-person teams. If you would like to sponsor a team, contact Ms. O'Connell at 563-8450. For more information, log on to www.unitedwayce.org.
Cleveland Demo Day to be June 16
ROUSES POINT — North Country Golf Club will host a Cleveland Golf Demo Day Tuesday, June 16, from 1-5 p.m. All golfers are invited to attend.
For more information, contact the golf shop, at 297 2582.
St.Peter's tourney slated for Aug. 13
PERU — The annual St. Peter's Golf Tournament will be held Thursday, Aug. 13 at the Adirondack Golf and Country Club in Peru.
This is a charity "fun" tournament to benefit the youth programs at St.Peter's Church.
It is a full scramble, 4-person event(mixed teams of men and women are encouraged to participate), which starts with a 12:30 shotgun, and ends with a 6 p.m. awards Ceremony, and a full catered dinner at the Adirondack Clubhouse.
Registration forms will be mailed out to past participants the second week of July, and can be found at the Rectory office during that time as well.
For more information, contact John Mockry at 562-0905 or 562-4179.
Lahtinen Penfield event has openings
PLATTSBURGH — The 10th-Annual Melissa Lahtinen Penfield Golf Tournament will take place Wednesday, July 8 at Bluff Point Golf &; Country Club. Openings are still available.
In the past nine years, Hometown Radio WIRY has helped raise more than $120,000 for the MLP Fund. The fund was established to assist families when they need to travel outside the area for organ donation or transplant, through the foundation of the CVPH Medical Center, and in memory of Melissa Lahtinen Penfield of Plattsburgh.
Team registration is $40 for Bluff Point members, $70 for non-club members and is co-sponsored by Geoffrey's Pub &; Restaurant. All entries receive four greens fees, 2 golf carts, a buffet party and prizes following the tournament at Geoffrey's Pub.
Entries can be obtained at WIRY, 4712 Route 9 in Plattsburgh, or by calling Theresa, at 563-1340, during business hours.
Ellie Campbell tourney July 9
WILLSBORO — The 13th-Annual Paine Memorial Free Library Golf Scramble, in memory of Ellie Campbell, will be held July 9 at the Willsboro Golf Club. It will be an 18-hole, four-person scramble with tee times at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Teams may be men, women or mixed (two men, two women).
Food will be available all day and will be included in the registration fee. There will be nearest to the pin, longest drive and nearest to the line competition for men and for women. Door prizes will be given from many area businesses. You do not have to be present to win a door prize.
The cost is $30, which does not include a cart. To enter, or for more information, call 963-8989.
Mikey Leavine tourney on June 30
PLATTSBURGH — The 13th-Annual Elizabeth "Mikey" Leavine Scholarship Golf Tournament still has openings. The tournament is set for Tuesday, June 30, at the Barrackss Golf Course.
It is a nine-hole, three-person scramble with men/mixed and women's divisions. The Calloway scoring system will be used.
The cost is $26 per person for non-members and $10 per person for members. The field is limited so prepayment is required by Tuesday, June 23.
There will be many off- and on-course prizes, including a raffle for a new TV/DVD, golf clubs, bags and much more. Entry forms are available at the Barrack's Golf Course or at www.bcsdk12.org ,and sponsorship opportunities are still available.
The proceeds go toward the annual presentation of six $500 scholarships in Mrs. Leavine's name. For more information, contact Peter Villa, at 563-3372, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
McGoldrick tourney slated for Saturday
ROUSES POINT — The Johnathan McGoldrick Memorial Tournament will be held at the North Country Golf Club Saturday, June 13 at 1 p.m.
The format is a four-person scramble. The cost is $50 for members and $60 for non-members (Entry fees include cart.).
All proceeds from the event will benefit the Johnathan McGoldrick Memorial Scholarship Fund for NCCS seniors.
For more information, to sponsor a hole, or to sign up your team, contact the pro shop at the North Country Golf Club at 297-2582.
Olympian Celebrity Golf Classic Thursday, June 18
- Adult/Youth Sports
- Empire State Games seeks sponsor for next 2 years Goal is to put the Empire State Games on solid financial footing.
- Parsons wins 4th Mayor's Cup Parsons, Hall repeat in 32nd Mayor's Cup Regatta on Lake Champlain.
- Mayor's Cup Regatta Entries for today's 32nd Mayor's Cup Regatta on Lake Champlain.
- Mariners fall to Cardinals The Clinton County Mariners drop a nonleague baseball game.
- Goutal wins Grandprix at Lake Placid Horse Show Twenty-year-old Brianne Goutal rode Ralvesther to a fault-free finish in the event Sunday.
- Area golf roundup: June 10, 2009 Olympian Celebrity Golf Classic Thursday, June 18; Cleveland Demo Day to be June 16; St.Peter&'s tourney slated for Aug. 13; Lahtinen Penfield event has openings; Ellie Campbell tourney July 9 ; Mikey Leavine tourney on June 30; McGoldrick Memorial Golf Tournament Saturday.
- Spring tackle football season for teens in works League will be open to area teens from North Country region.
- Champlain Valley Elite lose 5-2 in the championship game Sunday Northern Connecticut Wings defeat Champlain Valley Elite 5-2 in Hartford Junior A Hockey Tournament.
- Chazy Orchard, Ed Garrow’s & Sons, Big D/Edward Jones, KT Productions all win Lavigne, McCool, Hall, Zagrodzki, Hayes all score two goals each for their respected teams.
- Mariners lose in championship game to Granville Granville knocks off Clinton Country Mariners 12-5 in Granville American Legion Baseball Tournament.
- More Adult/Youth Sports Headlines