CHILSON — A wooden shack and an inoperative pickup truck were destroyed by an accidental fire in Ticonderoga’s Chilson hamlet Sunday night.
The fire was reported at about 8 p.m. and likely began in a defective wood stove, fire officials said.
The unoccupied building was owned by David Carpenter Jr. at 2950 Route 74 in Chilson.
Chilson Volunteer Fire Department got help from Ticonderoga to fight the fire, with Crown Point and Schroon Lake departments on standby.
The Essex County Fire Investigation Unit was at the location to probe the blaze.
“There was a breech in the wood stove,” Essex County Emergency Services Director Donald Jaquish said. “Hot ash and fire escaped into the structure to start the fire.”
No one was injured fighting the blaze, he said.
— Compiled by Staff Writer Lohr McKinstry and Contibuting Writer Jennifer Meschinelli