---- — STONY BROOK, N.Y. (AP) — State health officials are investigating a case of the potentially deadly hantavirus contracted by a Long Island man bitten by a mouse during an Adirondack camping trip.
Michael Vaughan of Stony Brook tells the Times Union of Albany that blood tests confirmed this week that he had contracted the viral illness. He was sleeping in a lean-to in the High Peaks region in August when a mouse bit him on the finger.
Vaughan says he became ill in September and spent four days in intensive care. The 72-year-old research geophysicist at Stony Brook University says his doctors said they believed he had contracted hantavirus, which is carried in the feces, urine and saliva of deer mice and other rodents.
Nine people who visited Yosemite National Park this summer were infected by hantavirus. Three later died.
Information from: Times Union, http://www.timesunion.com