PLATTSBURGH — No one was home Saturday afternoon when fire caused moderate damage to a multi-family townhouse at 5348 Peru Street in Plattsburgh.
At about 4:40 p.m., crews from the Plattsburgh City Fire Department were called to the residence, where flames and smoke were showing from the second floor.
Plattsburgh City Fire Lt. Shawn Clark said it appeared the blaze broke out in a second-floor bedroom, causing significant damage there, while the remainder of the floor had extensive smoke damage.
He reported minor water damage on the first floor.
According to neighbors and phone records, the owner of the residence is Keith Rebideau.
Colin Hyde of Peru initially thought he saw smoke coming from a barbecue, but as he approached the townhouse, he noticed that it was ablaze.
“There was literally smoke coming out of the AC upstairs and flames pouring out the window,” Hyde said.
Hyde then pulled his motorcycle to the side of the rode, struggled to get his helmet off and then dialed 911.
About that time, Blair and Belinda Gushue of Montreal, who had just finished playing a game at Bluff Point Golf Course, were driving by and pulled over to see what has happening.
“We opened up the garage door and ran inside and yelled and screamed to see if anyone was in there,” Blair said.
There was too much heat and smoke to head upstairs, so after no answer, he went back outside to see if anyone next door was home.
“I knocked on the door and said (to the woman who answered) ‘Get out, get out.’ She said ‘Why?’ I said ‘there’s a fire.’”
Clinton County Car 1, City Fire Inspectors and Clinton County Fire Coordinators were also called to the blaze to investigate.
As of Saturday evening, crews remained at the residence to assist with debris removal and any rekindles.
Email Miranda Orso: