25 YEARS AGO — 1987
▶ The collapse of the New York State Thruway bridge last month lead to the inspection of bridges across the state, and two area bridges have been officially closed because of the downstate disaster. The Davern Road bridge in Peru needs to be completely replaced, and the Old State Road bridge in Altona has been scheduled for repair.
▶ The Saranac Lake Village Improvement Society has proposed the planting of a welcome garden in the triangle of land separating Upper Broadway and Lake Colby Drive. Most of the labor in this project will be volunteer work.
▶ Champlain Park has seen a startling increase in vandalism since last Halloween, and there are a number of residents that want to do something about it. Nyla Bacon and her husband, Wendell, are among residents working to organize a neighborhood watch program. The watch was originally suggested by police, and the idea has been brought to the Plattsburgh Town Board.
50 YEARS AGO — 1962
▶ A fire in Clinton County's Arnold Hill district destroyed 15 acres of forest. Volunteer firefighters from Keeseville and AuSable Forks helped area departments in controlling the blaze, which is now under a 24-48 hour watch for any remaining coals.
▶ Area Bible clubs are sponsoring a youth rally at the Plattsburgh Rollerland with guest speaker the Rev. Jerry Robertson and musical guest the Rev. David Dunkin.
▶ Clinton County Cancer Society received a $87 check from The North Bowlers Women's League, which had raised the funds during their last bowling tournament.
▶ Ellenburg Central School has started a new annual event—a "county fair" put on by the students. Students displayed their talents in science, penmanship arts, physics, agriculture, and industrial arts and were judge based on grade level.
75 YEARS AGO—1937
▶ St. Regis Native Americans Louis D. Herne and Joseph Casey were arraigned in Malone by U.S. Commissioner Ralph R. Levy on charges of the second degree murder of Tom Martin on the St. Regis Mohawk Reservation. Both men are in Franklin County Jail after waiving examination and are being held at $5,000 bail.
▶ The Lemron Club dramatic organization is presenting three different plays consecutively at Plattsburgh State Normal School with musical intermissions by the school orchestra.
▶ The bill allotting $130,000 for the construction of an addition to the Malone School for the Deaf has been passed by both legislative houses and has been sent to the governor for signing.
▶ Engineers constructing the Alberg — Rouses Point bridge have estimated that the bridge will be open for public use in early July.
100 YEARS AGO—1911
▶ It's been indicated that this years Clinton County Fair racing events will have the largest field of starters on the racetrack ever to take place in Northern New York.
▶ The Marshall, Wood & Riley Company store has installed a new underground gasoline tank. The tank is equipped with a pump and hose for conventional automobile tank filling.
▶ Dr. J. A. McCrank has inspected 31 local milk dealers and has announced that the cows owned by Miss Helen I. Smith are of the highest quality out of all.
— Compiled by Contributing Writer Kaitlyn Wait