PERU — A barn built in the 1800s was gutted by fire within minutes on Monday night.
Jordan Terry, 22, said the fire started while he was trying to move a 580 Ski-Doo snowmobile from the barn to the roadside so it could be sold.
When he saw the flames, he tried to drag it outside because he thought only the hood was on fire.
But then the whole machine was engulfed, and within minutes the barn had ignited, he said.
Once he realized the blaze was beyond his control, Terry called 911 from his cellphone at 7 p.m., he said.
"I'm so disgusted," he said, staring at the charred remains of the barn as heavy smoke rose into the sky.
Peru Volunteer Fire Department Chief Brian Westover said the blaze at 554 Route 22B/Pleasant Street was fully involved when his department arrived.
Several firefighters continued put out small flareups at about 7:30 p.m.
The fire was so hot, Terry said, its heat could be felt from inside the house, located a short distance from the barn.
He lives there, as does his grandmother Viola Fenn, 79, who owns the property.
Mrs. Fenn's son John Fenn, 42, said she has insurance on the barn. She remained in the house while other family members watched the activity outside.
There were no injuries, and since the barn was virtually empty, nothing of value except the snowmobile was lost.
There were four tankers and six pumpers at the fire. Assisting Peru Volunteer Fire Department were departments from Keeseville, Morrisonville, AuSable Forks and South Plattsburgh.
City of Plattsburgh Fire Department was on standby.