RAINBOW LAKE — A fire seriously damaged a single-family home here Saturday night.
Paul Smith’s-Gabriels Volunteer Fire Department received report of a chimney fire at 92 Wardner Road in the Town of Brighton at 10:19 p.m., according to Roger Smith, the department’s chief.
When he arrived at the scene, Smith said, flames had burned through a chase built around the two-story home’s chimney and were coming through a wall of the structure.
The home belongs to the Mowka family, who were home when the blaze broke out and reported the incident to authorities.
No one was injured as a result of the fire, Smith said, but efforts to extinguish the blaze were hampered by the temperature being 19 below zero and the recent snow fall.
With the help of mutual aid from seven fire departments, however, firefighters were able to contain the flames. Saranac Lake Rescue Squad also stood by.
“The fire was contained within 90 minutes,” Smith said.
The structure, he added, is rebuildable, but the home is about a fifty-percent loss.
Smith said the Mowka family did indicate to him that they were insured.
The cause of the fire is still being investigated, according to the chief, but does not appear to be suspicious.
“It’s leaning towards the chimney being the cause,” he said.
The Mowka family declined aid from the Red Cross and stayed with friends last night; however, Smith said he planned to meet with the Mowka’s Sunday to see if they needed anything.
Email Ashleigh Livingston: email@example.com